Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Friday, June 15, 2007

Yer Not From 'Round Here, Are Ya?

A delivery guy just came into my office to take some boxes to storage and he asked if I was enjoying the rain and if I had plans for the weekend. I told him the rain is fine, as long as it stops for a little while during the Solstice Parade.

He said "The what parade?"

It's funny to me that some people don't know about the Solstice Parade. It's such a huge part of Ballard/Fremont life. Our gang meets up (most) every year to watch the parade and hang out at the fair all day. Steve and I comment every year how it's just a magical thing. The sun always comes out just in time for the parade and the feeling of community is so.....heavy. I just assume that *everyone* knows about it and feels the same way. This particular person was not from Seattle proper, probably one of the outlying cities, and it's like a whole 'nother country out there.

So I clued Mr. Not-From-'Round-Here in about the parade and the fair and I stiffled my snootiness when he asked "Is parking hard?"

Ha. You silly man.

You don't drive to the parade. You would spend as much time walking from your car as you would actually driving to the area and trying to find a parking spot. You ride the bus. Or, if you're far away, you go to a Park-n-Ride and ride in from there. Or, if you're cool like my friends and me, you walk or ride your bike.

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's the same with the Edmonds Arts Festival. This is the 50th year and there are a lot of people in Edmonds who say "Oh, I've heard about that but I have never been". It's hard for us to believe. There are around 75,000 to 100,000 people who come. We never miss it.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For people who don't like people, we buy the purse and walk the walk! Stay away - that way no one gets hurt! :)

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Antiem said...

The sun ALWAYS comes out for the parade, and it IS magical! Those poor souls, who don't know...

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home