Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Cookie Fiasco 2006

I attempted to make cookies on Sunday. I'd been gearing up for this for a month. I was going to make cookies for everyone at work, instead of buying gifts. I bought cute little cookie cutters, tons of eggs and flour, and decorating crap. Fun filled day, I tell ya.

I got through the chocolate chip ones just fine. And the peanut butter ones were almost a disaster (damn Weight Watchers recipe!). But the sugar cookies.....oh god, the sugar cookies.....

The first batch was too dry. Too much flour or something. I couldn't even roll it out on the counter. It just crumbled. That batch went in the garbage.

The second batch was, again, too dry, but I thought, I bet an egg would help! The egg did indeed make it moister, but it also made it sticky. So the dough stuck to the countertop. I could cut the shapes out, but I couldn't get the shapes off the counter. That batch went in the garbage.

Here's where I broke down and called Marcia - baker extraordinaire. She told me sugar cookie dough needs to chill for about an hour. Okay, good to know. That tidbit probably should have been in the recipe, but oh well. Live and learn. I took down her recipe - because how can a baker extraordinaire's recipe not be good? - and started all over. And this time I put the dough in the fridge for an hour.

And it was still too crumbly. What is the problem here? How can I screw up sugar cookie dough? I can make gingered greens with broiled tofu, but I can't make sugar cookies? Amazing.

Needless to say, my coworkers are not getting any cookies this year. They get a Winter Gathering and that's enough. The cookies that did turn out okay have been packaged up for neighbors. Cause I'm a giver.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dee said...

Ok "Cookie Maker/Giver," here's my advice: First, never, ever use a Weight Watcher recipe for cookies! Especially at Christmas. Calories don't count as Christmas. Second, buy the refrigerated sugar cookie dough at the grocery store. Nobody will ever know and it tastes good. ;>)

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Mom said...

I'm with Dee - Tish came over last night at 9:10 p.m. to borrow flour. Flakey child had agreed to make cookies for their family gathering tonight and she started at 9:00 and realized that she had no flour! Asked her why she hadn't just bought the dough and she couldn't answer me. Yeah, she should have been blond! (Just kidding all you blondes . . . .) However, this just proves that you are your mother's child! I ALWAYS buy the cookie dough, and will never attempt to make them from scratch.

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home