Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Surprise West Virginia Trip!!

So, as some of you may or may not know, Steve and I made a last minute, suprise trip to West Virginia this past week. If you remember, in March we had wanted to go to be with my folks for the 4th of July, but ticket prices were outrageous, so we decided we just couldn't afford it. Then, after my constant whining and sniffling about the country and the creek, Steve searched for cheaper fares and found them. We didn't tell anyone from WV we were coming, let alone post it on the blog! and let me tell you, it was quite difficult. As often as I talk to my mom....sheesh.

So we flew out Monday, July 3, at 7:30am and got into Pittsburgh around 5pm. We picked up a rental car and drove two hours to Nestorville, WV. I was worried that maybe everyone would be out and about, but luckily they were all at my Uncle Paul's, fishing. They were very happy to see us.

This is the road leading down to the houses.
My first house is the red one. My Uncle's place is the green one.

My brother and his family were in; my dad's brother, his wife and grandson were in town and came out for a few days; and my folks had Trent, their makeshift grandson with them, so it was quite a gathering.

It stormed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but that was okay. It's been a long time since I've seen a really good thunderstorm. The rain was steady, then would just dump for 30 minutes. The only drawback was that the creek was about 3 feet above it's normal height so there was no swimming. Bummer.

I did get to wade out into the creek a little bit on Friday.

We stayed at the local motel Monday night and Tuesday night, then threw an airmattress down at my Uncle's for the last nights. My brother and his family camped out in the front yard, but there was alittle too much rain for me.

Wednesday we walked up to the family cemetary to visit my great grandma, Mabel, who passed away two years ago.

And we picked lettuce and green onions from the garden for dinner.

Mom bought my Uncle the sombrero. Nice, huh?

We went up to Sugar Hollow on Thursday to look at my Uncle's land.

My folks need some land to put their doublewide on when they retire. And it's getting close. Steve taught Trent how to blow grass in his hands and make a bird call. That was fun for the first couple of hours, then it just got old.

Thursday evening, there was some wrestling with the 8 year old.

My mom's sister and her husband came up Friday afternoon and I made lasagna for dinner. Two batches, thank you very much. One vegetarian, one with meat. I'm accomodating that way. Everyone raved. Which is always surprising because lasagna really isn't that hard. Mix the cheeses, warm the jarred sauce, layer it all up...but hey, whatever makes the family happy, huh?

Steve & Jeannie, cleaning up.

The folks left early Saturday morning as their flight was scheduled to leave at 2:30. However, they didn't actually leave until 4:30pm because of some airshow. Our plane was scheduled to depart at 6pm, so we left my Uncle's at noon and stopped in Morgantown to get a few souvenirs for some co-workers and to have lunch.

We didn't have much of a problem at the airport. We flew from Pittsburgh to Las Vegas and changed plans and by some freak of nature, got upgraded to FIRST CLASS on the flight from Vegas to Seattle. The ticket agent mumbled something about balancing out the plane and waalah! We were in first class. We were offered cocktails before they even closed the door to the plane, then more after we took off. All free! We had spacious leather seats, a coat rack for our jackets and more leg room than a 5'2" girl needs on a plane. How can I ever go back to coach?!

And Sunday was spent in our jammies, doing laundry and trying to get back into the swing of real life. Which sucks after spending a week barefoot and laying around in the country.



Blogger The Hamilton's said...

Dee told me you were surprising your mom! So glad that you were able to do that. Sounds like you had a lot of fun....very relaxing fun. Sorry the creek was too high to go swimming in!

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures - especially the last one! We did have a good time despite the weather, and I was so very glad you (and Steve) showed up!

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pictures make me jealous. Wish I was there with you guys. We need to plan a trip to WV! My friend, Lisa's daughter just went on vacation to WV with her friend's family. Lisa said Stephanie thought they were staying by a lake, but she said it was really a stream. I had to correct her and tell her it's called a creek! ;>)

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home