Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Stressful Week

If you'd rather not know personal things about your son or daughter, maybe it's best you don't read this one.

[WARNING - BOOB TALK COMING UP]

So, I haven't written yet this week. I've been preoccupied.

When I got out of the shower Monday morning, I noticed a large red rash looking area on my left breast. With the family history I have, I, of course, immediately think "cancer". And I consider myself pretty knowlegeable in the subject, so not just cancer but Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Looks like a rash, very quick to appear and spread, usually not detectable on a mammogram.

Lucky for me, I work at a cancer center and one of my supervisors is the Breast Imaging Supervisor and a mammo tech for the past 10 years. When I got to work, I went straight up to her office, shut the door and told her about my splotch. She ask questions, in a very calming voice, then asked to see it. She said it didn't look like a typical case of IBC, could be an infection, could be an allergy, but let's wait a couple of days and see if it goes away or spreads. If it doesn't go away, she suggested I see my doctor and get an order to come back to the center for a mammogram. Later that day, there was a very prominent warmth in my chest and my breast felt very heavy. I went ahead and made a doctor's appointment for Tuesday evening, in the event that it was still there the next day.

Tuesday, still there.
Although it had lightened and didn't feel very warm anymore. I went to one of my primary doctors after work and he was stumped. No idea. Not a typical case of anything he could think of. Not an allergy, not an infection. So he wrote an order for the mammogram and an ultrasound.

Wednesday, I wasn't at work long enough to get the mammogram because I had an eye doctor's appointment at 2pm. What a week, huh? It took 15 minutes to get the glaucoma test done. Icky, icky. My left eye has gotten worse, my right eye has gotten better, I got new glasses and I need to wear them more often.

On to today.
My supervisor did my mammogram and ultrasound at 1pm. And both exams were clean. I was dreading the mammogram, but I think I'd rather have that done than the glaucoma test. The doctor told me if the red area is still there in 3 weeks or so to make an appointment for a biopsy. Just to be sure. And she suggested taking a pregnancy test because apparently red splotchs are common place in pregnant women.

I did and I'm not.
So there.

I realize this may not be the most appropriate way to convey such scary, exhausting experience, but this way we don't have spend quality together time talking about it and visualizing my boobs.

Kiss kiss to all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous auntiem said...

Yowee! What a week! I only recently heard of IBC. I'm sure glad you work in the right place, got the tests so promptly, and have a great outcome! Hugs to you!

8:24 PM  
Blogger The Hamilton's said...

Glad you had things checked out. Hopefully it will go away. Had to LOL about the pregnancy test! ;-)

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Dee said...

Good for you - you're on top of your health! Glad it turned out ok.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home