Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Friday, May 05, 2006

I hate spring.....

I got stung by a yellow jacket this morning.

I was getting into my car and saying goodbye to Steve and when I put my hand on my door to open it, I put it right on top of the yellow jacket. And then I felt a sharp sting and thought - What's on my door? Ah, then I saw it. And then I got scared. I started hopping around, holding my hand and wailing. Steve got off of his bike and asked me what was wrong. We went upstairs so I could put it under cold water, Steve brought down the Benadryl then went to google what do when you get stung. I called my co-worker so 1) he would know I was going to be late and 2) because he has kids and is outdoorsy, so I was sure he'd have tips. So I iced and rested so my blood moved slower. Nothing swelled (except my hand) and I didn't have a problem breathing. Guess I'm not allergic. But man, my hand is throbbing.

And it's funny. The last time I was stung was when I was 16 or 17 and I was visiting Granny in West Virginia. I stepped on a bumble bee with my bare foot and it stung me up under my middle toe. I cried and hobbled up to the house to tell Granny. She sat me down on the porch and then scooped dip out of her lower lip and put it on my toe. She said "Shhh, don't tell anyone.....they don't know I dip." No, Granny, we all just thought that was a tumor on your bottom lip. And she would leave her little paper, spitting cups everywhere. Very cute. Apparently the tobacco takes the sting out. I can't remember if it did or not.

We don't have any dip at the house. I asked Steve.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Mom said...

Yes, the tobacco ("snuff") would definitely help the bee sting and I'm sorry I didn't think of that. See Granny knew what to do - not like mom who can't remember s___!

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Barbara said...

Hi there, you didn't call me. I do have a great treatment that works every time. Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. Make a paste with a bit of water and rub it on the sting. It protein in the tenderizer will draw out the poison that the stinger left.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Dee said...

A paste of baking soda and water is supposed to work, too. Not sure if it really does.

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home