Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Busy as all get out!

So let's see.....
I last wrote on Tuesday, July 18th. Since then, it's been too hot to move, let alone think and type. And we haven't been home long enough for me to log on and form a thought. I actually had a teeny weeny break down two nights ago because I just needed to sit down and not do anything. It was the first night in two weeks we didn't have plans. I got home, the house was miserably hot, the dishes were piled up, the garbage in every can was overflowing, I still had laundry from the weekend in a pile to be hung up and I just couldn't bring myself to do anything. So I just mumbled "I just don't wanna" over and over as I stood in the middle of the bedroom with tears running down my face.

Poor Steve came home in the midst of my break down and said he felt the same way. So we didn't do anything. We ordered a pizza and watched TV all night. I felt much better yesterday. I cleaned the office, did some laundry, made dinner and cleaned the kitchen.

The reason we've been so busy is that our friend Heather, from London, was in town for a week. I had planned to work on house stuff last Friday, but she wanted to have dinner with a few of us so we went out for dinner, then back to Sean's for drinks in his backyard until midnight.

Saturday we got up, did laundry, ran some errands, then were off to D&S's for the party. They're so fun. There were babies and tons of alcohol and lots of good food. Not the best combination now that I see it in writing. But it was all good. We were there until midnight and I was bawling when we left. They're not even leaving until August 10th, but it was just very sad that this was their last big party in Seattle.

Sunday, I got up at 9am and went for a walk/run (well, I tried to run) before the beach bbq in Heather's honor. I got about 5 blocks from our house and thought I was going to die. It was already in the 80s, I was flushed and my stomach was in knots and cramping. I barely made it back home and told Steve, I don't know if I want to spend the afternoon at the beach. It was horrible. And I know 90 degree weather is not such a big deal in other parts of the country, but you people have AIR CONDITIONING. We don't. Only the big swanky houses on the eastside have central air. So we have to open all of the windows, break out the fans and hope for a breeze. We ended up driving down to the beach, which is very funny because it's not even a half a mile away. But my car has air conditioning. Well worth the 20 minutes it took to find a parking space.

So we hung out at the beach until 6pm or so. Luckily we got a table in the shade so it was actually more pleasant than staying in the house. After we left the beach, we went down south to my co-worker's house (45 minutes in the car! Woohoo!) She had a get together for her girlfriend's birthday. It was all work people but that was fine. It was the work people I like.

And then back home and in bed at 11pm.

Monday I had dinner with my friend Katie and went to see her bunny, Barley. It was good female bonding. I keep saying I'm going to have a girl's night twice a month because it's so therapeudic to talk to other women about relationship stuff. It makes you realize you're not alone. It may bug me that Steve doesn't take his dishes to the sink, but after I talk to my girlfriends, I realize that no man does that. So why bother getting bent out of shape about it?

After dinner, I went by Sean's because Heather was leaving the next day and wanted to have one last brewhaha before going. Cocktails, hanging out, chatting. Home at 10pm.

Tuesday, dentist appointment. Left work at 1pm. Man. One new cavity and two that needed the fillings replaced. Two hours at the dentist. And my skull still hurts. I picked my new glasses afterwards then took boxes over to Daniela. That drive home is what started the break down. I don't know what happened, but I swear there's twice as many cars on the road lately. Just all of the sudden. It's maddening. Maybe all of the people who normally take the bus or bike are taking their cars because of the heat. Whatever it is, it better knock it off soon. I can't take sitting in traffic for 30 minutes to go five miles. I'm going to end up having a heart attack in my car.

This week hasn't been much better in terms of temp. They keep saying it's going to be in the 70's but it's still hotter than hell. Rumor has it we'll have rain Sunday! Yay!!

This weekend is supposed to be the big camping trip. Twenty of my favorite people (including some I've never met) are going camping for our friend's birthday. But the place we were going to go on the peninsula caught fire two nights ago, so the organizers are in the process of finding another place. I'm not very optimistic. I took tomorrow off at the last minute because I haven't even been to the grocery store yet to get camp food and if we don't go camping, well, then I just get a nice three day weekend. A much needed three day weekend. Maybe Steve and I will just toodle off on our own. I've never been to the beach on the peninsula. Why not?

Whew. I'm exhausted now. All this typing......


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg to differ with you - dad takes his dishes to the sink (and usually will rinse them and put them in the diswasher) (sorry Steve!). But you're right, most men don't do that.
Maybe you just need to make some changes in your routine as far as having plans every night of the week. It's good to just have 2 or 3 nights a week to come home and do little chores - that way, things don't pile up on you. (Sorry - not preaching here . . .)

5:36 AM  
Blogger Raechelle said...

I bet the fact that you and dad have been together for 30 years has something to do with him taking his dishes to the sink. You've had lots of time to train him ;) I think it's that way with alot of couples that have been together for 20+ years. But those of us who have only been together for 5 or so years are still trying to get used to each other.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I have alot of catching up to do - I haven't checked out your blog in a while! And, sorry to say, I have one of those few good men who takes his dishes to the sink and basically does all the cooking. I'm very lucky. He's in Iowa for work till tomorrow night. Kyle said "Our cook is gone!" So we had Dominoes pizza tonight. ;>)
I couldn't stand it without AC! We were about 100 degrees today with tomorrow predicted to be a little hotter!! Enough already!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home