Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Can O' Worms

Have I told you about my latest project? I'm sure I've mentioned it to some of you.

I have years and years worth of Real Simple, Martha Stewart Living and other magazines. They have great tips, recipes, and do-it-yourself craft projects, which I aspire to actually do one day. But these magazines were taking up way too much space. I needed to declutter.

So I decided I will tear out all of the pages that have useful information and put those pages in sheet protectors, which will then go into a three ring binder, complete with tabs for sections entitled: Fashion, Beauty/Health, Cooking Tips, Household Tips, and any other sections I deem necessary. I have gone through most all of my magazines, leaving Real Simple for last because they have tons of good stuff in there and I wanted to get the less important magazines out of the way so I could concentrate.

I was sick yesterday (and Monday) so I went home early, and laid around all afternoon. When I couldn't lay anymore, I decided to work on my magazine project. You know, something easy, low impact, I could sit in one place and watch our Buffy DVDs.

At 9:30pm last night I was sitting on the bed, surrounded by hundreds of pages of magazines, that I had cut out with an x-acto knife, spread around me in piles. And I thought, "What the hell am I doing? I'm going to need 10 boxes of sheet protectors to get all of this crap into my binder. I may even need a few more three ring binders! Oh, but wait! If I need more binders, then I should just dedicate each binder to a different topic, thus making the system even more organized AND leaving room for future pages as I'm still getting Real Simple magazines! And if I'm going to have a different binder for different topics, I should decorate the binders, maybe with fabric? so that they match the topic - food for food, clothes for fashion, nails for health and beauty....That way, at a glance I can see which binder I need in an instant! No reading plain ol' labels on a plain ol' binder! Oooh, I need a label maker...."

This went on for probably a half hour, until Steve opened the door to the bedroom and scared the crap out of me.

My question to you is, do I need professional help?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you need professional help?

Yes, you need a secretary.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have tons of magazines that have been taking up to much space. Lately I have been scanning the articles and have them in my computer in orginized files.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Dee said...

Yes, you need professional help. And let me tell you as one of those "I'm going to cook this, make this, decorate this, etc. when I have time" people, I'm way older than you and ain't done none of it yet. And magazines will keep coming out every month until you die, so just throw those out and when you get new magazines and have time you can do all those projects. Just a little piece of advice from your old cousin. Unless you are way more organized, energetic and unlazy than me. Then go for it.

5:02 AM  
Blogger The Hamilton's said...

I'm thinking I might want to hire you to do that for my house. ;-) I have also started tearing out things that I want to keep. But, they aren't in binders!!!! I like anonymous' suggestion....scan them in! Less clutter!

6:22 AM  
Anonymous antiem said...

Or wait until the project comes up and Google for the tips? (This from someone with stacks of mags. and boxes of clippings "garden" and "house.")

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home