Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Monday, July 31, 2006


So, apparently I am a city girl at heart.

We got to the campground around 6:30pm Friday evening. A friend had gone out Thursday and set our tent up for us to reserve one of the spaces, so Mickey P put his tent up beside ours.

We were right on the creek, which was just beautiful. Except for the pine trees, very West Virginia-y.

Mickey P, by creek.

The Welcome Gnome

We got settled then walked down the road to everyone else's campsite. A friend got two sites together, then ours down the road - the only sites left available. We cooked and drank and hung out around the fire. Well, they all cooked. With their dutch ovens and camping pans and kettles. Steve and I had to borrow tin foil to put our veggie dogs and chicken patties on. No, campers we are not. It was about 60 degrees, maybe even a little cooler because the entire campground was covered in pine trees. So there was no sunlight getting through.

Saturday morning (after a nearly sleepless night - the TempuPedic didn't sound so bad at that point) we got up and Steve made a fire so we could boil water for tea. We had breakfast then all went on a hike up to Franklin Falls. The first leg was only about 1.5 miles, then the resting point was this incredible waterfall/swimming area with these huge rocks that you could spread out on. We hung out there and had lunch, then split up - some continuing on another 4 miles, some going back to camp. Steve and I got back met up with some others, and broke out our guitars while we munched and chatted. There was a big salmon feast that evening then more sitting around the fire and talking. Which sounds fun, but I'm still coughing and digging soot out of my nose. It's probably not the best thing for my lungs.

Saturday night's sleep was better. It started raining in the middle of the night, so that was nice to wake up to. And we had a pretty good tent so we stayed dry. But packing everything up Sunday morning was a pain. It was muddy and the tent was soaked. It rained off and on the whole morning, until we got back to Seattle. Steve and I immediately showered and went out for breakfast. Then just rented movies and vegged on the couch the rest of the afternoon. I felt guilty for not doing much but at least I got a load of laundry done and cooked dinner. That's all I could muster.

And I am making a point of not making plans with anyone tonight or tomorrow night because I'm going to see Brandi Carlile at the zoo on Wednesday, I have my motorcycle class Thursday night, then again all day Saturday and all day Sunday. So I need to budget my time. No more breakdowns for me.

Although I need to go by D&S's tonight to pick up a monitor they're giving me, and I'll swing by my eye doctor's place to have them adjust my new glasses. They've got the springy hinges on the sides and they feel very loose. Like they're just going to slide down off of my face. And I need to vacuum Ruby because she got very dirty this weekend. We can't have her running around like that.

But other than that! No plans! I mean it!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are cedars and douglas firs, city girl.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home