Life Out Here

Just a small way to keep my friends and family, who are strewn about the country, in The Know about my life in Seattle.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Bus Day 1

I took the bus today! And I only had two mild panic attacks!

I got up at 6am and caught the 6:54am bus just as it was pulling up to the stop. I saw "17" and ran for it. Just in the knick of time. Then the first panic attack hit. We passed several stops without stopping. And my first thought was, Oh crap! Did I get on the express?! The express would have taken me straight downtown (where I do not work) because it bypasses all of the little stops, one of which is *my* stop. So I tried to re-evaluate situation by thinking, Okay, what's the worst that's going to happen? I get off downtown, I find a bus stop for number 66 (because I just happen to know that's the one that will bring me to work) and I get on it. Or I can call my friend Jessica, here at work, who knows all of the bus routes by heart, and ask her which one to get on. Then I call my boss and tell her I will be late for the 8am meeting (which didn't happen anyway). No Big Deal.


Come to find, it was not the express. It was just a light route.

So I got off at my stop and walked around the lake to get to my office. The stop is on the southwest corner of the lake and I work on the southeast corner. Not a long walk, but still quite a trek first thing in the morning.

On this walk came my second panic attack. Geese. Take note Ma Miller, I don't like birds either. Anything bigger than a pigeon is troublesome. I saw a guy literally attacked by a goose as he was walking down a dock. The goose was protecting a female who was sitting on a nest and he just rared up and scratched the shit out of the guy's face. I don't like 'em.

And I had to walk through a freakin' gaggle of 'em. And pigeons! And even a couple of seagulls. Just as freaky. I just moved to the far side of the sidewalk, averted my eyes, and kept on movin'. Only when I was a good distance away from them did I let out my breath, lift my head and get back on the right side of the sidewalk.

And I was at work at 7:35am.
Shoot me.

But I was darn chipper! Just not having to deal with the traffic and construction that's going on all over made the morning so much easier. And I've been hungry all day. Apparently the walking has jump started my metabolism. Go figure.

I think I'll be able to do it again tomorrow. Provided I can get up again at 6am. Lost is on tonight and since it doesn't come on until 10pm, I don't get to bed until after 11pm. We'll see how it goes. Only four more weeks, right?


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like birds either. It makes it a little difficult walking at the beach. I cancelled the ice cream birds I ordered.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....birds and clowns. I'm going to have to talk to your mother. ;>) Glad you made it thru your first bus day! Well, bus morning.

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home